At the start of the new winter semester at Hochschule Heilbronn I publish my personal semester playlist. Have fun with it!
- We start in the cradle of mankind Africa, more precisely in Tamanrasset, Algeria, Sahara with Irmahan and their song of the same name. Guitars and rhythm – so old school. But, the hypnotic lead guitar and the rapid Arabic-influenced tone sequences of the melodic song result, as I said, with a lot of rhythm in a really danceable sound. https://imarhan.lnk.to/imarhan , https://music.apple.com/de/album/imarhan/1280417051?i=1280417303 https://open.spotify.com/track/1Ye2lpUppaahUYUyFiI9vW?si=854ebbc897f24f10
- I appreciate Mory Kanté from Guinea very much as a musician, because he not only delivered dance floor smashes, but as a griot singer and ballaphone player he had an enormously wide spectrum, even folk music. Unfortunately he died much too early in 2020. Here, not his super hit Yeke Yeke, but the song Mogo Djolo – even more rhythm… https://music.apple.com/de/album/mogo-djolo/1443712814?i=1443712833 https://open.spotify.com/track/2BU2yzujk7JsBuBd21CnWE?si=fb261f8cef6f4add
- Attention style break! Blue Monday 88 by New Order. Dance beat song of my youth, may not know everyone. Brit Pop of the 80s was once „top of the pops“, as it was called then … https://music.apple.com/de/album/blue-monday-88/42029668?i=42029703 https://open.spotify.com/track/31MOjWj3CT3dCQsMV2b8Wu?si=91ef4600b5cd4ade
- How about a musical now? Musical?!? A musical. Idina Menzel has a typical musical voice, many ornaments, but in this spiced up version helps to overcome gravity – Defying Gravity… https://music.apple.com/de/album/defying-gravity-tracy-youngs-flying-monkeys-radio-edit/253329976?i=253329980 https://open.spotify.com/track/6w9FwcNjOhcispHsDlzv5Q?si=ccaee2e1704945bd
- Well, if you were a child of the New German Wave / Neue Deutsche Welle … you had to listen to a lot of shallow junk ( da da da, Treetboot in Seenot u.v.m. ). With the song Dreiklangdimensionen from Rheingold, I still appreciate the cool undercooled style. It’s hardly ever played, so that’s a clear argument for its placement here… https://music.apple.com/de/album/dreiklangsdimensionen-clubmix/275210311?i=275210337 https://open.spotify.com/track/6ng1rv2P24h2wly30Jbnz7?si=436b30bb4d014a80
- Devil in me by Purple Disco Machine – when can you ever tame him? https://music.apple.com/de/album/devil-in-me-feat-joe-killington-duane-harden/1291936794?i=1291937234 https://open.spotify.com/track/41rOnZXVg3cLacziEBgkpW?si=4b15a05042c344fd
- Blood, sweat & tears have rightly their place in music history with their innovative crossover sounds in jazz rock at the end of the 60s. Painfully, then, it was to see the band’s long and agonizing descent. From the late period comes this dirty Nuclear Blues, which was interpreted here super funky – not so bad after all … https://music.apple.com/de/album/nuclear-blues/1202362701?i=1202362969 https://open.spotify.com/track/0ZaaQINtAMy2rjM2qijzYj?si=a57a7b61ed6e4134
- Some record covers make you smile, so this was here first with Breakbot – and the text is also not meant quite seriously (?). But the music is very groovy: Baby I’m Yours! https://music.apple.com/de/album/baby-im-yours-feat-irfane/353570909?i=353570939 https://open.spotify.com/track/5jr6pG3khBcBXZRm8NogSe?si=4abd1a5e02664eb4
- Now it gets really old – French works IMHO well as a pop language. But was a one hit wonder only as far as I know. The inspiration comes from a Eberhofer crime movie. Which one I just can’t think of right now. https://music.apple.com/de/album/%C3%A7a-plane-pour-moi-original-1977-version/78609238?i=78609231 https://open.spotify.com/track/7bx4zW72qdZKBb8p6g80jb?si=95517b0929ec47a4
- And we remain in the year 1977. The Sonics, hard, rough, fast rock n roll … https://music.apple.com/de/album/shot-down/626202316?i=626202625
- Students only want one thing! Were we different back then? Let them: here is a contribution from Fanta4 – no further comments on this … https://music.apple.com/de/album/saft/948650755?i=948650762
- I confess! Well done girlie pop catches my ear, like Daya looking for a real bad bad girl. I discovered this at AFN The Eagle … https://music.apple.com/de/album/bad-girl/1548680484?i=1548680486 https://open.spotify.com/track/3n1HsYVwX6qMvihf5uZDKs?si=1a2af0a791da42b2
- Dance music does not need words at all. So here are two instrumentals, as it used to be called. I got to know the Munich Indy Band Pollyester once at an open air, good electronic sound like here at the trance triggering cover song of Russ Ballard’s Voices … https://music.apple.com/de/album/voices-pional-remix/501846638?i=501846851 https://open.spotify.com/track/0kpfgHU7auDEXKOSJm25aR?si=ddeb4b66b2194873
- Vertigo – film music from the last movie Night Life, which I was allowed to see, before the Corona spectacle. Music top, movie quite OK … https://music.apple.com/de/album/vertigo/1501564941?i=1501564942 https://open.spotify.com/track/169r6LqqLzMSFr08RkSglc?si=213e5a01e09f48e6
- Who still knows Gladys Knight? Gap in education – definitely close it! https://music.apple.com/de/album/ive-got-to-use-my-imagination/307294566?i=307294626 https://open.spotify.com/track/5r3q5qzU1LoxfORgwuvLCa?si=a65744efbc2c48da
- The bouncer today is a somewhat quieter number by a really likeable artist: Garland Jeffrey’s Hail Hail Rock n Roll – rarely played on the radio, but cool sound. https://music.apple.com/de/album/hail-hail-rock-n-roll/440229455?i=440229479 https://open.spotify.com/track/6dtiPdmZXVPW8s4kh5RDP5?si=85e7366298394d44
That’s it for this semester. Admittedly a wild mix, but for sure it had some surprises and new discoveries for you, and what’s on the radio everyone knows anyway. More next summer. Then with a different musical topic…
If you are looking for a thesis or you want to learn about my teaching and research activities?
It could be worthwhile to look at my personal homepage at Hochschule Heilbronn.
Research profiles at Google Scholar and ResearchGate.